Dear Parent or Guardian:
School attendance is a critical component in order to ensure that a child is successful at school. In elementary school, our students are developing the habits that will shape their future. When students attend school daily, they will have a better opportunity of having higher student achievement and feel confident about their work at school.
Below you find will find what constitutes an excused and unexcused absence as defined by California Education Code 48205.
A pupil shall be excused from school when the absence is:
- Due to his or her illness
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer
- For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometric or chiropractic services rendered
- For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of his or her immediate family, so long as the absence is not more than one day if the service is conducted in California and not more than three days if the service is conducted outside California.
- For justifiable personal reasons including, but not limited to, an appearance in court, attendance at a funeral service, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at religious retreats, when the pupil’s absence has been requested in writing by the parent or guardian and approved by the principal or a designated representative.
Any absence for reasons other than those listed above as excused absences are deemed unexcused. Ararat Charter School is required by law to seek an explanation (a written note or verbal justification) regarding all absences. Parents will receive a form or phone call regarding unexplained absences.
|Number of Unexcused Absences at School||Consequences|
|5||Written Letter to Parent|
|7||Principal/Designee will contact parent|
|After 7 Absences||Principal/Designee will schedule a parent conference and work on student attendance plan|
Consequences for Unexcused Absences